Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Changes

Well, where to go from here?! I haven't been on top of the development scene very much, partly because I had locked down the software I was going to use and partly because I was busy getting ready to get married. Over the last month and a half, the marriage has wrapped up and we've settled into the house, so I took the chance to review the state of the project - believe it or not, this was the first time I've heard that XNA will no longer be supported starting 2014.

So what to do now?

I've heard some people say to stick with XNA for the time being until a new framework takes it's place, some recommendations to move to Unity, and so on. The problem I face is that the entire framework I've spent the last 3 years learning and fleshing out is no longer a long term investment - the menu management, the level editor, the event management... All of this is tied to my custom work on top of XNA. The physics engine, the drawing components... *sigh*

So what now? I've looked at Unity briefly, but have not downloaded it yet. Part of me thinks I should just focus on finishing the assets for the next game first, but really, the coding is the aspect I enjoy.

So where to go?

I imagine I'll take some time to refine the story and work on the basic bounding entities. Once those are done, I can sit down and really evaluate the other options. Any thoughts are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment